Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Corporate Worlds Away

As I work in the corporate world I discover many new things. One such thing I have discovered is that the corporate world is run by means of insanity (at least where I work). Case in point: Over the past year I have been feeling that my position hasn't been offering me much of a challenge (and basically beneath me) since I have past experience building web sites, computer audio/video production (with professional software), graphic design (Photoshop being my favorite), etc, etc. On a recent review I had mentioned how I would like to move on to something I am more suited for. I also made the company aware of my additional skills so that they can see that I am very computer proficient and have a high intellect. I met with my supervisor fairly recently to rehash the possibility of moving to a position in the company that is closer to what I am suited for. My supervisor informed me that my work performance in the field I presently am in needs some improvement and that before I could be recommended to move elsewhere I would need to do better at my present position. So let me see if I understand this correctly: before I can move from my present position which does not offer me the challenge I need (thereby causing me to not be as efficient), into a position I am clearly suited for and which would make for a much happier worker (thereby a more productive worker), I need to stay in my present position (although it is quite evident my talent would be more useful to the company elsewhere) and perform better.

I see...


Let the insanity begin! (although it has long since started here at "The Corporate Sanitarium"). It is just so ridiculous and as I write it, sounds even more ridiculous. Unfortunately it is true. Oh, so true. What does one position have to do with the other? If the bottom line with any business is dollars and cents (profit) and increased productivity usually helps to create such profit, then wouldn't it make more sense for me to be in a position I am properly suited for? Yet, you see this is how the corporate world works. It is not intended to make any sense. It is intended to be a dictatorship. A you-do-as-you-are-told-not-what-makes-sense mentality. It gets even better. Get a load of this: I am not permitted to go around my supervisor to someone over his head or in a department I would like to be in because that would be noted in my personnel file. The way it works is that I have to wait till my supervisor (and ONLY my supervisor) gives full approval for me to move upward or to something I prefer and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I suppose could quit but then that only hurts myself. I even thought I could end my life over it (what can I say, the thought of remaining in this braindead position depresses me. However, it was only a passing thought). I suppose I could give my supervisor four flat tires, but that would just be childish behavior, make me feel even worse about myself, and what would it even accomplish? Nothing at all (and besides my supervisor is actually very nice, a tad misguided, but very nice).

I also meant to mention another tidbit of insanity is that managers are given leeway on things that other employees are not. For example, from time to time (for whatever reasons) I completed some assignments at the last minute. I was criticized for this, yet the managers I work with as part of my team do this same behavior almost all the time. They will tell me they need something printed only to make a last minute change in the presentation. I then have to add in the new information. What up wit dat? They get no criticism for this either. The only one who notices it is me and who can I tell? Not to mention my supervisor is on the same level with the other managers and will just let it slide since they are all in the same peer group. Insanity! Just plain fu*king insanity. There is no nice way to say it. Now I imagine some might say that these managers have a right to do anything they want. Wrong! They are supposed to be setting the example for the rest of us. Isn't that what older children (and adults) are supposed to do for younger children? That's how I was raised. Same philosophy here. Just because they are managers does not mean they can just do what they want. What's next, they get to start taking computers from work because they feel like it? What is wrong for me, is wrong for everyone. Otherwise what begins is preferential treatment, and then where does it end? Soon the company will start saying that only people of a certain skin color or nationality can do "this" or do "that". It is wrong no matter how you look at it.

Just because someone has worked at a company for 20 years as opposed to 2 or 3 does not give them the right to conduct themselves any different than any other employee. Having a special parking spot is understandable. The person should be recognized for dedication and loyalty. However, there can not be one set of rules for some and a separate set for another. I understand that that is how it is in the corporate world, but simply because it "is" does not make it right. It seems that people often confuse what "is" for what is "right". People are murdered everyday in the United States, does that make it right?

So here I sit in a position I am not "cut out" for and very bored with. I find myself looking for other things to do such as writing in my blog or taking a nap under my desk (which really gets me going later in the day, actually I was just kidding about the napping part. I don't really do that, but boy am I temped! I could bring my blanky plus some cookies and milk would be nice too. So much for productivity. However, here's to upper management decisions. I raise my imaginary glass of milk in your honor before I take my nap under my desk).

1 Comments:

Blogger Anony said...

Conundrum, Thanks for the comment on my blog, Who's a Loser? Your blog is looking pretty good. I can feel your frustration with management. Grrr...! One thing you might consider is using the expandable post hack so that you have more posts on one page, instead of one long one. Just do a search in blogger help for the info. Good luck!

Wed Jun 28, 02:57:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home